Saturday, January 24, 2015

A box of Valentine's chocolates

Who doesn't love chocolate for Valentine's day? Or any day, for that matter. I love it so much I made a box of faux chocolates and hung it on my front door. All you need is styrofoam, acrylic paints, lace, foam board and ribbon.


You can buy small round-shaped styrofoam. I also used larger blocks of foam that I cut into small squares and rectangles.



Paint them with chocolate brown acrylic paint - it will take several coats because the foam soaks up the paint. I attached each piece of styrofoam to toothpicks, which I stuck into a larger piece of styrofoam, to make them easier to paint and dry.



Once they dry completely, drizzle on white acrylic paint to look like icing.


I hot glued the dried chocolates into silver cupcake wrappers and then glued those into a foam board that I had cut into the shape of a heart. I used leftover posterboard from a previous project to create the raised heart border and hotglued lace around the entire thing.

I love the way it turned out - and only wish I could leave it out longer than one month a year! And I can think of so many other ways to embellish this. You could use red and pink "icing" or little multicolored bead "sprinkles" to decorate your chocolate. How about using Valentine's cupcake wrappers?

What do you hang on your door for Valentine's Day?

Check out the linky party  below for some more great DIY ideas!

5 comments:

  1. This is sooooo cute. I'm pinning it because I really love it. Fake chocolates, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was so easy to make and I'm glad you love it!

      Delete
  2. What a cute Valentine's project!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing project! Love it! Thank you for sharing tutorial!
    Hope you have a wonderful week!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a brilliant idea for a Valentine's Day wreath!! Pinning!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ The Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete