Monday, January 19, 2015

I think I see your Christmas card

Now that my Create Closet is done, I've started to put it to good use. I'm trying not to spend any (er... a lot of?) money in January, so I looked around my house for inspiration for a weekend craft. I found my stack of Christmas cards and decided they would make great gift tags.


I keep stacks of cards from all different occasions. Birthdays, Valentine's Day, Easter. They are all stuffed in a drawer in my kitchen hutch. Every once in a while, I'll go through the stack and keep the ones that are most special - you know, the ones from grandparents or close friends. But still, I find it hard to part with greeting cards, and especially the ones that carry a nice handwritten sentiment from someone miles away.



I feel better, though, getting rid of the cards if I know I can put at least part of them to good use. That's where my large tag scrapbooking punch comes in. It makes the perfect gift tag. And I even like that the tags are not perfect - with just pieces of winter scenes or holiday words. They don't have to be perfect - just festive. I added a little hole with another punch and will tie them to packages next year with pretty ribbon or raffia.

I've seen others use metal book rings to create books of greeting cards - check out ideas for that here and here. And one time, I set out to do this but searched every aisle of the craft store and couldn't find the rings. Next time, I'll try the office supply store.

What do you do with your old greeting cards?

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Something I would have never thought of. Thank you for sharing at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete