Saturday, February 7, 2015

A surprise new teenage bedroom with thrift store finds

My daughter went away this summer with a friend. When she came home, we surprised her with a room makeover. And it all started with a trip to a few local junk stores and architectural salvage shops where I picked up some old frames and a lamp.



We removed the old carpet to expose the wood floors underneath. Then we turned our attention to the walls. The room had been pink at one time, with big pastel colored flowers painted randomly on the walls. Then it was two shades of purple. With a little help, we painted the room gray.


The lamp that I found at a nearby secondhand shop was transformed with some white spray paint. I bought a chalkboard lampshade and left her a message for when she returned home.


I sanded the frames and also gave them a coat of white spray paint. My daughter loves to shop, so we found a zillion bags from different stores in her room. We put the frames on the wall and used simple nails to hang the bags inside.


We finished the room with new black and white bedding and her existing furniture and accessories.


The result was a fun and trendy bedroom perfect for a teenager - and an awesome surprise waiting for her when she returned home from her vacation.


Have you ever surprised someone with a makeover? Tell me about it in the comments below. And check out more great DIY projects at the link-up at Serenity Now and at Dagmar's Home.

Dagmar's Home Thrifty and Vintage Finds link party

3 comments:

  1. I love that you surprised your teen with a makeover! So much fun!

    Thanks so much for sharing on Show Me Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete