Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Can you name the junk? Trash to treasure finds

Have you ever gone junking? I love to find the most out-of-the-way mom-and-pop junk stores, especially ones that are piled high with crusty old wooden furniture and rusty metal pieces of this and that. The thrill for me is hunting through all that stuff and finding a few pieces that I can reimagine and reinvent.

Take these three pieces, for example? Can you figure out what they are?


The first was a long, metal crate I found for just a few dollars. I loved the shape and size of it, but not the color, so I spray painted it black. I used to have it filled with different sizes of mason jars filled with wooden spoons and other cooking utensils and sitting in the middle of our kitchen island. Recently, I relocated it to the wooden hutch in my kitchen and filled it with plates.


The second piece is a crusty old piece of wood from a front porch. At my favorite junk shop years ago, they had stacks of these. I bought two - and I wish I had bought more! I hung this on the wall near our front door where we have a peg board that holds coats and scarves. 


The last item is a wooden drawer front, which to some people might seem like a waste of a few bucks. But add some pretty hooks to it and you've got instant function. This sits below our kitchen command center and is low enough that my 6-year-old can hang up his coat and bookbag on it. 


I'd love to hear about your trash to treasure DIYs. Tell me about your favorite ones in the comments below! And happy junking!

No comments:

Post a Comment