Monday, February 9, 2015

Command center from old screens & church pew hymnal holders

During the school year, our kitchen island becomes a dumping ground for all the paperwork the kids bring home. I had tried storing everything in different baskets, but they would just overflow onto the island. And I would forget what was there and inevitably miss sending things to school or signing permission slips on time. So I decided to create a kitchen command center on my wall where I could hang important papers, the kids artwork and other mementos.



I bought two old window screens - one for each of my children - for just a few dollars each and my husband screwed them to the wall for me. I didn't even paint them or anything - I loved their natural, chippy texture. I had clothespins I had bought for another project and hot glued them onto the screens to hold papers and pictures.

Above each screen, I bought wooden letters to spell out my son and daughter's names. The screens stayed like this for a long time and worked perfectly. But recently, I came across these:


These wooden pieces had been attached to church pews to hold books. And much to my happiness, they were the absolute perfect size to fit around each of my screens on my command center!


Do you have a kitchen command center? Check out Pinterest for some more great ideas for how to organize all that stuff that ends up in your kitchen!

Dagmar's Home Thrifty and Vintage Finds link party

5 comments:

  1. Love these! So functional and pretty!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm always on the hunt for ways to contain all my clutter. Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  2. Very cute. I have a few of those pew hymnal holders as well. Thanks for linking up to The Vintage Inspiration Party!

    ReplyDelete