Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Framed maps mark where we used to live

I've moved a few times. So when I was looking for inspiration to decorate my family room wall, I thought about the places we have lived and decided maps were the answer.



I used three floating wall picture frames from Michael's because I wanted to frame three pictures - Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. I also got white heart stickers to place on the towns where we lived and a couple of maps.

You can find U.S. maps at bookstores, drug stores or the post office. Or you can print out an image online. The size doesn't matter - we'll get it blown up later - so just pick something that goes with your decor.

Carefully cut out the states you want to frame then take them to a copy store and have them blown up. Cut them out again, place your sticker in a place you want to mark, and then put them in the frames.

I hung the three square pictures horizontally in a row. And then I found a vinyl decal at a craft store that said,"Home the place your story begins." Now, it was perfect! You can find lots of different vinyl decals in stores or on Etsy.



I love my wall of maps! It's a great reminder of all the places we've called home. This would be a great project for a military family or anyone else who has moved a lot.


4 comments:

  1. What a great idea, beautiful and sentimental at the same time! Thanks for connecting with me on twitter :)

    Amanda @ The Hatched Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you tell me where you found that wall decal set? I have the same one and need to replace it. I can find similar ones, but not this exact decal. Would like to purchase it if you can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Chris. I found that at Michael's craft store - I think it was in the clearance aisle years ago!

    ReplyDelete