Sunday, March 15, 2015

We interrupt this craft and DIY blog...

This isn't the blog post I had intended to write. Ever. But here I am. Ten days ago, we got a winter storm here in Pittsburgh that blew what I thought was winter's last icy breath. I had been growing more and more impatient with this winter, and uncomfortable driving in the slush of its wrath so I asked my husband to drive me to the local rail station. He dropped me off. I saw him drive off as I took two steps.

The rest of the day is a blur: crying, clutching my leg on the cold ice, strangers layering me with blankets, ambulances, trauma workers poking at me from all directions, trying to stay still in giant imaging machines while I silently cried to myself, being cradled as my limp body was moved place to place and finally, my eyes shutting to the anesthesia hitting my veins.

That was 10 days ago. I am still in the hospital. And in my mind and the isolation of this tiny hospital room, I have written the great American novel over and over, and over again. And its pages are bursting with stories of pain, fear, loneliness, love, redemption, humanity and everything in between. You name it and I have felt it or seen it in the faces and voices that are shuffling through what is my reality. For now. Not forever. This is thankfully a tale that will have a happy ending - I will be OK. It is just going to take time. So indulge me while I take a few turns here and there from my original intent on this blog. But I have to write. It's just who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment