Sunday, June 21, 2015

Milestone number collages

Remember the birthday surprise I teased you with last week? Well today is the big day and it's time for the reveal. It's a milestone number collage for my husband's 50th.


I'm always looking for creative ways to mark special occasions in our lives. And if it's something I can make myself, it's all the better. So when I wanted a memorable way to mark my husband's 50th birthday, I went to my happy place: Hobby Lobby. They've got everything a craftaholic like me needs. And then some. I bought two giant wooden numbers (a five and a zero, of course...), some Mod Podge and clear acrylic sealer and extra sponge brushes. In my life, you can never have too many sponge brushes.


My next stop was my bookcase at home, where I grabbed some photo albums. Using my home computer printer, I made black and white copies of photos of my husband throughout the years - from tiny baby pictures to our wedding and the births of our two children. I made the copies on plain white copy paper and then cut the pictures out and started arranging them on the wooden numbers.


One at a time, I started gluing them down by applying a thin layer of Mod Podge to the wood with a sponge brush and then using my fingers to smooth the pictures on. I had to get creative to cover every surface of the numbers - sometimes cutting pictures to go around curves or using small bits of the pictures to fill in tiny spots.


I let the numbers dry completely before spraying the tops of the pictures with a thin coat of acrylic sealer.

I gave my husband his giant 50 collage today to kick off his birthday week. I'm so excited to hang it somewhere in our home so it reminds us of all the wonderful memories he's made so far!

2 comments:

  1. What a great gift idea! Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday! This is going to be one of my features this week. Hope to see you again tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete