Saturday, October 3, 2015

Just a touch of Fall

My kids complain because I don't do "spooky" well. That is, I don't like to decorate my house for fall with cobwebs and spiders and ghosts. We have neighbors who love Halloween and basically transform the inside and outside of their house when fall hits. But that's never been me. I tried it one year, and put faux cobwebs with spiders all over the bushes in our front yard. When I went to clean it up after the holiday, I nearly stepped on a dead squirrel - a real one! - and screamed so loud that I vowed I wouldn't do it again. Since then, my approach has been a little more subtle...

My mantel this year is super simple. I filled different glass containers with mini faux pumpkins and filled a large yellow urn with sunflowers and larger faux pumpkins. (I want a huge basket to sit on the hearth but I just haven't found the right one yet...)


I also used a ceramic pumpkin I bought years ago at Pier One and a fall birdhouse from a craft fair. I found two arrangements of fall flowers to sit on either side of the large photo that centers my mantel, and added a super inexpensive candy corn garland from Target's Dollar Spot (my favorite place!) to frame the entire thing.
In the kitchen, my tablecloth might be the only thing that really qualifies as "spooky." It's black lace in a cobweb pattern. On it sits an old wooden cutting board I found at an antique store on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and a glass jar filled with my door knob pumpkins.


Do you decorate your house for the seasons? And if so, do you prefer spooky stuff or a more simple fall look? 

No comments:

Post a Comment