Monday, November 16, 2015

Rusty bedspring snowman

It's time, people. I know the turkey hasn't even come out of the oven yet, but it's time to think Christmas. I know a lot of people hate seeing holiday things come out "too early" but I am not one of them. I love the holidays and I hate that there's only one month to enjoy all the trappings of the season. So for me, thinking about it a little early is easy and natural. I also am not a last-minute kind of person, so the more I can do ahead of time, the better.

So that brings me to today's post. As a junker, I come across a lot of rusty, crusty stuff that most people would never buy. Like the $3 old bed springs in today's post. I bet most of you would pass right by them. But not me.



I was super excited when I found these bedsprings because I've seen tons of ideas on Pinterest for using them. But I wasn't exactly sure what to do with mine. Inspiration struck, though, when the craft store started putting out their holiday decorations - last month :) There's always an aisle with flower picks - leaves, greens or different ornaments on the end of long, thin picks. These are commonly used in flower arrangements or wreaths. When I came across a bin filled with snowman head pics, I knew what to do!



You will need one of the snowman heads and a bedspring. Use a pair of scissors to cut the head off of the pick. This can sometimes be tricky because there is a wire inside the stick so make sure you have good scissors. And then, of course, you need that trusty glue gun. Simply glue your head to the spring.

That's really it! I kept mine simple, but I'm thinking about adding a few old buttons down the front of him. You could even paint your spring white and add a couple of twig arms. Check out this Pinterest board with lots of other great ideas for how to decorate these springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment