Monday, September 5, 2016

A What? Yes, a Nacho Cake!

I'm old enough to remember a time before cell phones. In those days, I would call my friends from the rotary phone in my room and talk for hours. On Friday night, I had an old fashioned conversation like that with my best friend, who also happens to be my sister. We spent the evening on the phone, talking about everything and nothing, before ending up on our computers simultaneously watching YouTube videos about cake decorating. We happened upon on video that showed a cake made to look like a plate full of nachos and, well, I couldn't resist. This would make an awesome game day dessert. So with football season starting up, I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm not going to lie - this was labor intensive. It wasn't hard - and I took many shortcuts that my sister the baker would NEVER have taken - but it was definitely worth it. For example, I used two boxes of chocolate cake mix and store-bought buttercream frosting. If you want to make everything from scratch, go for it. But that's not my thing. Here's what else you will need:

I first baked the cake in a large 9-by-13 inch pan. When it was done, I let it cool before cutting it in half. I stacked the cakes one on the other with buttercream in between and then used a serrated knife to cut away the edges and give the cake a more rounded appearance. I put a layer of buttercream over it and sat it in the refrigerator to set. Don't worry about getting this perfectly covered - the cake will be covered with "nachos."

While the cake was in the refrigerator, I made the nachos. I took flour tortillas and cut them in small triangles. Place them on a baking sheet, brush them with melted butter and then sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Bake them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes until they are golden brown.


I mixed the remaining buttercream with two shades of green food coloring until I got it close to the color of guacamole. Sadly, my pictures here don't really do it justice. Frost the cake with the green buttercream and then start arranging the cooled nachos all over the cake. 


Once you've covered most of the cake in "nachos" the real fun begins. I mixed chopped nuts with milk chocolate candy melts to make "ground beef" which I spooned randomly around the cake. A huge blob of green "guacamole" was placed on the center of the cake, and red gummies and black licorice where cut in small shapes to resemble chopped tomatoes and black olives, Yellow candy melts were grated all over the cake to resemble shredded cheese.


A work of art, right? Well, it wasn't so pretty after we cut into it for a taste. In fact, it looked like a hot mess. But it was delicious and fun and worth every minute! 


No comments:

Post a Comment